Feb 23, 2011

My own very personal 5 Sales Principles for Success


My 5 Principles of Sales Success


Where do I come off writing a blog about sales? Let me explain.

I may not be a sales guru with some fancy seminars to sell, but I am definitely the world’s first and only sales fan boy.

I love Sales.  I love hearing about Sales.  I love watching Sales folk do their thing.  I enjoy learning everything I can about selling.

I like talking to sales gurus, sales stars and sales managers.  I like hearing about what works (and what doesn’t.)

I’m fascinated by the “culture” of selling, and how the groups that sell operate.  Why do I find this subject matter so interesting?  I honestly don’t know.

Maybe it’s because I’ve been exposed to so much BS in the business world, I like hanging around the people who really get things done.

Or maybe it’s because I always have fun when I party with the sales folk.  I like upbeat people.

Over the years, I’ve come up with a philosophy that guides me as I write Sales.  This philosophy is my touchstone of what to include in the blog and what to leave out.  It consists of the following five basic principles:

  • #1: Sales is the heart and soul of the entire business world.
  • #2: Every organization (even management) should be in service to sales.
  • #3: A sales career means improving yourself as an individual.
  • #4: When selling, use what works and you forget what doesn’t.
  • #5: Selling is all about making friends and then helping them.

I’ve observed that every highly successful sales professional adheres to some variety of those five principles.  They don’t always list them out that way, but the same kind of ideas are there.


READERS: How about you?  Do you have some “principles of success” that help you organize your career?  If so, I’d love to hear them.  I’m already ready to learn something new.

No comments: